Sunday, September 7, 2008

Observations From an Airport

I am a watcher - an observer. Always have been, but even more so now. I find myself studying people wherever I am...wondering where they come from and who they are. I study their faces - their eyes - they way they move & interact with those around them. It's amazing what you can see when you really stop and look.

Spend some time in the airport of a large city like Denver, and it's a feast for the senses. Languages you've never heard before...every cliché you've ever thought of...every color under the rainbow...irony left and right...stereotypes and social 'norms' as far as the eye can see.

And people. Lots and lots and lots of people.

My kinda place.

I spent time in the Denver area earlier in the week, and found myself in the airport Friday afternoon waiting on my flight home. First things first, though...Denver is glorious. Simply put, if there is a Heaven then it looks like the foothills of Denver and the mountains that surround it. Nowhere else can there possibly be bluer skies and clearer air.

Get there at your first opportunity. You must.

So. Back to reality and all that is a major metro airport. There are interesting sights everywhere you look...
Business men in suits who never once look up from their laptops
Moms wearing babies on their chests pushing strollers
University football team members in Dockers and ties with their fauxhawks
Priests wearing their collar with a backpack slung over their shoulders
Groups of nuns dressed head to toe in white giggling to each other, with Ipod earbuds in their ears
Same sex couples holding hands sharing icecream cones

And that was just in about 10 minutes. Fascinating. Everyone is so similar and yet so different....

Now, you didn't think I'd go all the way to Colorado and NOT snap a few pictures, did you?











See, glorious. I think I found my new favorite place.

Until next time
~E

No comments: